Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Observations

Observations of God's Grace is what I called this blog on October 2nd - about 60 days ago - it seems more like 6 months ago. Tonight, as I was painting one of our spare bedrooms, which was going to be a small exercise room prior to the diagnosis, which became the visitor's bedroom after folding up the Bowflex and Rowing Machine and throwing a spare mattress on the floor, not exactly five star accommodations...  Anyway, as I was covering the dingy builder off-white white with "willow", I was reflecting upon all the ways that I had observed God's Grace, just in the last few days. A couple of friends were visiting with Jenny downstairs in the living room, as I heard them carrying on,  I started a list....

Friends that come over and visit, A house with a spare bedroom, exercise equipment, the ability to exercise, Jenny laughing, family that come and stay with us - even when they have to sleep on the floor, the change of season, cool nights when you have covers on your bed, children that know the God is in control and love them - even when Mom has cancer, friends that drive to doctor's appointments and go to look at wigs as Jenny's hair is falling out, the big harvest moon in the sky, an employer that says "family first" and means it, emails from old friends, phone calls from people that you haven't talked to in years - just to let you know that they are praying for you, a country that has an election without riots in the street or the president getting rid of  parts of congress, the ability to celebrate Christmas as a family, neighbors that stop and talk, Doctors that stop and really listen and ask good questions, medicine - even when it makes your hair fall out, a good nights sleep, non-stop meals that show up at your door, UPS 2nd day delivery, fresh Christmas trees...

Then, in the middle of my thankfulness stream of conscience, I hit the ceiling with a roller full of "willow". OOPS! Don't tell Jenny...

We have so many things that we have been graced with! Jenny is feeling amazingly well for being halfway through the dual Chemo/Radiation treatments, her hair has started to fall out in bunches, so pray for her, as she looks in the mirror every day and sees changes that are not ones that she is excited about. Wig shopping tomorrow and then the decision to cut it off or not... But that will be for another post, last thing on the list of observations of grace - latex paint :)  

9 comments:

  1. Love this post Ray! Made me laugh and cry. So so true for all of us that there are so many wonderful things to be thankful for amidst our small or big challenges, if we just remember to think about them as you have. Wonderful to hear Jenny is feeling well- tell her I chose to shave it off at that point - maybe she can try something new and go with a blond Marsha Brady wig - I gave it some serious thought.... Love you guys and excited to have Grace come see us soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray. We love you all so much. Tell Jenny that she will always be cool in my book, with or without hair. All she has to do is smile and she lights up the room!
    Love you...
    Julie K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia Brady wig is great idea! Or how about a Joni wig from Happy Days? Can't wait to "see" you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Jenny would carry an 80's wig very well :). I still remember the time she let me fix her hair (20 years ago??) and we laughed hysterically at our big matching Texan hair :). Praying for you all daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I can comment now; I've been carrying you in my heart and asking God for an outpouring of every single thing you need. You are loved by SO many and reading these posts encourage my heart regularly. What a joy to watch God's amazing grace on display in your lives. Will continue to pray for strength, comfort and ability to tolerate the drugs. Many blessings to your dear family!

    Benny and Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful posting, dear Ray. We love you all so much. I remember being with Laura during this phase of hair going, wig buying - how brave our girls are! Mom and Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. These posts make me feel as though I am sitting in your kitchen carrying on a conversation. Please keep posting. It's a great gift to us.

    Jenny, I admire your bravery and cheerful acceptance of the reality of losing your hair. I can't wait to see what replaces your lovely dark curly locks - something equally stunning I'm sure :-)

    Prayers - all day every day - are offered for you and yours.

    Much, much love - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope my picture reminds her that it comes, goes, and comes back again! Beauty is from within the and Jenny's got plenty of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ray, I am glad you fixed the ability to reply to your blog. I was reading your blog at the time of the initial diagnosis and surgery, but it has been a little while since I saw your updates. I want to let you know that I have thought a lot about you and your family and what you all are going through. It is obvious you have tremendous faith in the Lord!! Please know that your Wachovia/Wells Fargo friends are thinking of you and wishing the best for Jenny and your family!! Mary Neville Kempf

    ReplyDelete