Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How many days until Christmas?

I think I have reached my quota of Christmas commercials for diamonds, cars, and other expensive things and its only December 4th. It seems to me that these commercials are saying (some more overtly than others) that these material things are supposed to make up for a year of not expressing our love and attention to the ones we love by giving them something expensive and shiny. 

With the new perspective of time that we have gained with Jenny's diagnosis, I have become freshly aware of the need to express my love and appreciation to those around me in the moment, not putting it in a box, wrapping it with a bow, and placing it under the tree, waiting until Christmas to open up the gift of communicating compassion and care.

Those that know me personally, realize that this is not my strength, as a matter of fact, one of my sons lamented the other day "Dad, you never said things to me like you say on the blog..." A good and fair indictment of the gap between what I feel and what I express in words to those I spend time with. So, don't wait for Christmas - tell the ones around you that you appreciate them, that you see God at work in them, and that you appreciate that they spend some of their time thinking about you.

John, in his letter, says: "For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." (1 John 2:16-17 ESV)

The world would say that diamonds are forever, commercials try to convince us that the right gift will re-invigorate our neglected relationships, and that Christmas presents will change our lives and not end up piling up in our hallway closet and garages within a month.

I am convinced that we should invest in the eternal, the people that God puts in our lives are what is going to last forever. We each have a very short time on this earth and then it is off to eternity  - either worshiping the reason for the Christmas season or lamenting that we viewed it as just a good time to get some end-of-the year bargains and attend some nice parties....

Jenny is doing great, she ordered a pair of pink running shoes this week, is planning on attending a number of Christmas celebrations, is starting to plan hospitality events at our house, and has generally stopped taking naps. The radiation oncologist told her this week - "I wish all my patients were doing as well as you" 

So - can I just express to each of you how much I appreciate your support, how much Jenny is enjoying your cards and letters, and how thankful we are to have been blessed with knowing you on this side of forever. 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome news Ray! We are rejoicing over how God is imparting abundant grace at the Mulligan home!! May His Kingdom continue to manifest! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray! Beautifully said. Jenny and the entire Mulligan family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

    Mike and Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ray, Hi ! I am Rev. Emmanuel writing from Uganda, I got your news through Theresa and Bruce. Emily (my wife) and I are praying for you. May God's healing hand be upon Jenny.

    Emmanuel & Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to hear how well you are all doing. Even though I am sure this treatment is no picnic, your hearts are overflowing with gratefulness--what a work of the Spirit! Thank you for the gift you have given to all of us through your beautiful hope and trust in the Lord and your posts allowing us to have a window into your lives. What a mighty God we serve--May your home and hearts be filled with His peace and joy during this season.

    Love and prayers,

    the Sawyer family

    ReplyDelete