Friday, November 9, 2012

Finding Normal?

I am finding myself trying to define "normal" these days, whatever that means. I have been surprised about my level of expectation as to "how things should be". We have been spoiled with very little variation to our "happiness trend line" at the Mulligans. Just expecting a good nights sleep is on the list, wanting to not have an evening uninterrupted by the medication schedule, as well as not having uncertainty about what tomorrow will bring with Jenny's strength and endurance. I have found my heart tempted to want these variations from "normal" to be removed.

Even during the last six weeks, we have been extremely blessed with great progress and amazing recovery from the surgery and initial treatments. When I am tempted to drag that "happiness trend line" to where I think I want it to be, I am reminded that I am not alone, as the psalmist in psalm 77, after a lament of the conditions that he finds himself, he is then brought back to the deliverer of true happiness:


[11] I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
[12] I will ponder all your work,
and meditate on your mighty deeds.
[13] Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is great like our God?
[14] You are the God who works wonders;
you have made known your might among the peoples.
[15] You with your arm redeemed your people,
the children of Jacob and Joseph.
(Psalm 77:11-15 ESV)

We serve a faithful God, even when I chase after comfort in "normal", I can rest that there is no changing in our redeemer, who ways are anything but normal. I will continue to remember, ponder, and meditate.... Continue to pray that  the impact of the treatments will be primarily beneficial and that Jenny's strength and endurance will continue to be good. 

4 comments:

  1. I read your postings every day. It is like a devotional in action. We also pray for each of you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally cant wait to meet you and Jenny. And I agree with the comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We agree with Bill. We pray our prayers minister to you, but YOU are ministering to us! May His kingdom come!

    ReplyDelete